This article tell about which are the top five Next Generation Firewalls available in 2020.
First, let’s understand what is next-generation firewall exactly?
What is next-generation firewall ?
Next Gen Firewall is part of the third generation of firewall technology that is implemented in either hardware or software and is capable to detecting and blocking sophisticated attacks by enforcing security policies at the application, port and protocol levels.
Features of Next-Gen Firewall
Next-Gen firewalls combine many of the capabilities of traditional firewalls its included,
- Packet filtering
- Network address translation (NAT)
- Port address translation (PAT)
- Virtual private network (VPNs)
- Quality of services (QoS)
- URL blocking
Below advanced features are provided by Next-Gen firewall,
- Intrusion prevention system (IPS)
- SSL & SSH inspection
- Deep packet inspection
- Application awareness
- Next-Gen Firewall work up to layers 7 (OSI Layers)
How to select your Next-Gen Firewalls
Now a day’s there are many Next-Gen firewalls available, You have to think and consider below 8 important points while selecting Next-Gen firewall for you or your organizations.
- Performance: Undersized hardware appliances can’t properly handle the processing required to run all the security features without getting bogged down. Therefore, it’s critical that you know a product’s calculated throughput while selecting firewalls.
- Visibility and Control: One area that NGFW vary widely from one vendor to the next is network and application visibility. Not only are we talking about visibility down to the application and user level, but also visibility that provides network behavior intelligence. Be sure to understand each vendor’s security intelligence visibility functions to make sure it meets or exceeds your expectations.
- Prevention and Advanced Security: Your firewall should be to prevent breaches and keep your organization safe. But since preventive measures will never be 100% effective, firewall should also have advanced capabilities to quickly detect advanced malware if it evades your front-line defenses. You can focus on below points,
• Prevention to stop attacks before they get inside
• A best-of-breed Next-Generation IPS built-in to spot stealthy threats and stop them fast
• URL filtering to enforce policies on hundreds of millions of URLs
• Built-in sandboxing and advanced malware protection that continuously analyzes file behavior
• A world-class threat intelligence organization that provides the firewall with the latest intelligence.
- Comprehensive Network Visibility: You need to monitor what’s happening on your network at all times So you can spot bad behavior and stop it fast. Your firewall should provide a holistic view of activity and full contextual awareness to see: • Threat activity across users, hosts, networks, and devices
• Where and when a threat originated, where else it has been across your extended network and what it’s doing
• Active applications and websites
• Communications between virtual machines, file transfers, and more
- Scalability: Network hardware refresh timelines vary from one organization to the next. But for the most part, three to six years is where the majority fall. When choosing your NGFW, you want to make sure it can grow to meet projected your company’s data expectations. This might mean purchasing oversize hardware for what is needed today or growth through active-active load balancing.
- Management and Reporting: having the right management platform is crucial to lowering the number of human resources needed. Most enterprise NGFW have built-in or optional centralized management capabilities to provide a single pane of glass for configuration, monitoring and reporting of all NGFW on your network.
- Fastest Time to Detection: The current industry standard time to detect a threat is between 100 to 200
days; that’s far too long. A next-generation firewall should be able to:
• Detect threats in seconds
• Detect the presence of a successful breach within hours or minutes
• Prioritize alerts so you can take swift and precise action to eliminate threats
• Make your life easier by deploying consistent policy that’s easy to maintain, with automatic enforcement across all the different facets of your organization.
- Cost of ownership: The last, but not the least, factor is your total cost of ownership throughout a NGFW’s lifecycle. Once you start shopping around, you’re quickly going to realize that hardware, licensing, and ongoing support costs will vary widely from one to other vendor. You will need to perform a cost/benefit analysis to determine what product is going to give your organization the proper level of security for the lowest lifecycle cost.
Top 5 Next Generation Firewalls in 2020
FortiGate Next-Gen Firewalls have industry-leading security capabilities like, intrusion prevention system (IPS), web filtering, secure sockets layer (SSL) inspection, and automated threat protection.
Fortinet NGFWs meet the performance needs of highly scalable, hybrid IT architectures, enabling organizations to reduce complexity and manage security risks.
Key features of FortiGate Next-Gen Firewalls,
- Security and performance: Tops. NSS Labs tested the FortiGate 500E and gave it a 99.3% security effectiveness rating, behind only Forcepoint among products tested. Performance was a strong 6,753 Mbps.
- Easy Implementation: Can be easily deploy and integrate in the network
- Management: FortiGate firewall reporting gets high marks, and most users reported that the product is easy to use. Centralized and cloud management are the areas for improvement.
- Support: Without direct vendor support, customers are dependent on the quality of their channel partner.
- Cloud features: Fortinet has lagged competitors in this area, but recent offerings for AWS and Google Cloud show the company gaining ground.
You can find below review and reports by customers, and also visit to Fortinet.com to know more about FortiGate Next-Gen Firewalls.
When you upgrade your SonicWall hardware you gain the latest in next-generation firewall (NGFW) technology and access to the SonicWall Capture Advanced Threat Protection (ATP) service. It’s a cloud-based, multi-engine sandbox that stops both known and unknown cyber attacks from critically impacting your business.
Key features of SonicWall Next-Gen Firewalls,
- Capture Advanced Threat Protection (ATP) sandbox
- Gateway Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware
- Intrusion Prevention Service
- Application Control
- Content Filtering Service
- 24×7 Support
You can find below review and reports by customers, and also visit to Sonicwall.com to know more about SonicWalls Next-Gen Firewalls.
The Cisco Firepower Next-Generation Firewall (NGFW) is the industry’s first fully integrated, threat-focused NGFW. It delivers comprehensive, unified policy management of firewall functions, application control, threat prevention, and advanced malware protection from the network to the endpoint.
Key features of Cisco Next-Gen Firewalls,
- World class security control
- Unified policy and visibility
- Integrated networking and security
- Leaders in firewalls
- Time to detection (Threats)
- Application inspection engine
You can find below review and reports by customers, and also visit to Cisco.com to know more about Cisco’s Next-Gen Firewalls.
Checkpoint Next-Gen Firewalls control the traffic between the internal and external networks and are the core of a strong network security policy. Check Point Software Blades are a set of security features that makes sure that the Security Gateway or Security Management Server gives the correct functionality and performance. The Check Point Firewall is part of the Software Blade architecture.
Key features of Checkpoint Next-Gen Firewalls,
- VPN and mobile device connectivity
- Identity and computer awareness
- Internet access and filtering
- Application control
- Intrusion and threat prevention
- Data Loss Prevention
You can find below review and reports by customers, and also visit to Checkpoint.com to know more about Checkpoint’s Next-Gen Firewalls.
Palo Alto Networks offers an enterprise cyber security platform which provides network security, cloud security, endpoint protection, and various cloud-delivered security services.
Key features of Palo-Alto Next-Gen Firewalls,
Every next-generation firewalls comes with a set of features that enable you to secure your network like you’ve never done before. Palo Alto Networks firewalls include important security, integration, networking, and management features.
- Visibility into Applications, Users, and Content
- Visibility into your applications, web traffic, threats, and data patterns
- Visibility based on users and groups – not IP addresses
- Comparative view into traffic and threat patterns
- Detailed analysis of all your traffic and device activities
- Customized reporting for all traffic and device activities
- Support Dynamic routing
- Virtual Wire
- Multicast traffic routing participation
- Secure Application Enablement
- Filter applications to quickly create policy control lists
- Stop threats and unauthorized file/data transfer
- Systematically identify and control unknown traffic
You can find below review and reports by customers, and also visit to Paloaltonetworks.com to know more about Palo-Alto’s Next-Gen Firewalls.
Hope this article helpful for you, please like, share and subscribe Devopsarticle.com
Thanks for visiting to Devopsarticle.com